When its time to start thinking about your fourth year of medical school, you need to consider if you would benefit from applying for non-affiliate electives. You may want to consider this if you are interested in a speciality that Ross does not provide adequate electives for (pediatrics is one of them). The process isn’t hard, but its lengthy! Here are the steps of how to find non-affiliates and my tips on how to go about securing them.
- Go to My Portal and then to student timeline
- Go to elective clerkships
- Download affiliate and non-affiliate lists
- Search through and research how to apply for an elective on their website
- Apply via the program and on MyRoss
How to apply on MyRoss:
- Go to “student services”
- Go to “clinical department” then “clinical department” again
- Go to “clinical clerkship request”
- Click “Request Non-Affiliate Clerkship – Schedule with Hospital”
- Apply early in your third year because the process takes a very long time.
- Be persistent in emailing and calling the non-affiliate location and Ross clinical about scheduling until everything is set in stone. Do not wait until last minute.
- Always have a backup plan in case things don’t work out.
Let me know if you have any questions about non-affiliates below or reach our on Instagram!